Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Memorial Weekend

Last weekend, Denver headed south for a brothers' weekend and the kids and I headed north to visit family.  Denver had a great time with his brothers (although I still don't know which movie they saw...).  While he was funning it up in the sun, we were in not so sunny Idaho.  Anja had been counting down the days to visit her Gran and Pops.  I am glad the visit turned out to be everything she hoped it would be.  She was able to spend plenty of time with her grandparents and lots and lots of time with her cousins.  We don't get to see Evan and Ian very often, so it was great fun for Anja to play and play with them.  It was fun watching them play in some of the same places I played when I was little.  There is nothing better than taking off and exploring.  Christian was still a bit too little to tag along with them, but he didn't care.  He became my dad's shadow.  He only wanted to be with my dad this weekend.  I think my mom was a bit put out.  Christian is the first grandchild to prefer my dad over her.  I know my dad loved it.  They did so many things together.  Pops was the first person he looked for in the morning.  He would walk out of our room telling me, "bye!"  I would usually find him somewhere with my dad.  It was really cute!

For several days leading up to the trip to Idaho, Anja would become very sad about her dad not coming with us.  She tried and tried to convince him that it would be better if he came with us.  Although he appeared to consider this, I know he never really did.  Anja was fine without him for the first couple days, but missing her daddy hit her Sunday night.  She cried herself to sleep that night wanting her daddy.  I can only imagine what it would be like if neither of us were there.  I don't think she will be ready for any long term sleep overs for a while.

On our way back home Tuesday, we were able to stop at my grandparents graves to put flowers on them.  It was good for Anja to be able to help with this.  I am very grateful for my grandparents and the wonderful examples they set.  Although Anja and Christian never got the chance to meet my grandma, Anja remembers her from pictures.  I hope she will gain more memories as I share my memories of her with Anja. 


No comments: