Monday, November 17, 2014

Sister Trip



This year, for my sister's 40th birthday, we did a Sisters' Trip (plus the parental units) to Orlando, Florida. Stephanie chose Universal Studios as the place to go because of the new Harry Potter Land that had opened up this summer. She had been here for the opening of the first part, and was excited to go back to see the second part. There are two parks here: Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Universal was very smart. The original Harry Potter land, Hogsmeade, was in Islands of Adventure. They put the new land, Diagon Alley, in the Universal Studios park. Which means you have to have the park hopper ticket in order to see both parks - very clever.

I thought both lands were amazing! They paid such close attention to detail. I actually felt like I was a part of the story. It was so natural to see so many people walking around in their wizard robes. The only beverages you can get in these lands besides water is Butterbeer (frozen or regular) and pumpkin juice. They want to keep everything authentic. Even in the bathroom by the castle you can hear Moaning Myrtle talking to you.

Gringotts Bank
The dragon would become animated, roar and shoot out fire.

The Hogwarts Express.
We loved this ride.
It was exactly as if you were going to or leaving Hogwarts.

Outside the castle.

London
Kings Cross Station and entrance to Diagon Alley


My all time favorite thing from the lands was the interactive wands. They sell regular wands or interactive wands. If you have an interactive wand, you can perform magic with them while you are there. Many of the window displays and other areas will react to your wand if you do the right "spell". I can't wait to take my kids there to have them get their wands (mostly so I can do it with them.).

We spent 3 days there and one day in Magic Kingdom at Disney World. Universal Studios was not crowded at all, so we were able to ride our favorite rides over and over. Magic Kingdom, on the other hand, was very crowded since it was a Saturday. We waited in line for over an hour to ride the new 7D Train ride (lots of fun) and rode a total of 7 rides all together. I was a bit disappointed in the decorating in Magic Kingdom. Disneyland has everything decorated so beautifully, with the Haunted Mansion and Small World changing their decor for Christmas. I made my sisters and parents stand in a very long Small World line only to be disappointed that it isn't decorated for Christmas. They don't even have the movie characters added to it. (Disneyland is so much better. Plus, the new way they do fast passes is lame.) We did have a great day and enjoyed watching Elsa, Anna, and Olaf light up the castle.



We had such a great time! Although I missed my kiddos and they were really sad they couldn't be there with me, it was so much fun spending time with just my sisters! I can't wait for the next trip!

No comments: